Saturday, October 07, 2006

Tertius

In the entire bible he is mentioned only once:
I, Tertius, who wrote donw this letter, greet you in the Lord.
-Romans 16:22


Throughout Romans, you get no clue that this guy is writing the letter. Not until the last chapter, four verses from the end do we even know that anyone other than Paul is responsible for writing the letter. Then he inserts his name, "I, Tertius."

He was the guy who took dictation for Paul, and his name is memorialized in the most significant book in the world. Did Tertius know he was helping to write the New Testament which would become the basis of faith and practice for believers for thousands of years? Perhaps, he was simply serving from a humble heart.

As I was finishing this book yesterday, reading his name served to remind me that God recognizes and rewards the little things that we do for Him. I'm so glad that my Father remembers the small details. No good deed goes unrewarded. Nothing we do for Him is ever wasted. It isn't a waste of time, nor of effort, nor of finances to serve my Father or His children, my brothers and sisters.

2 comments:

JD said...

I just started romans. good word man.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Love it!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.