Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Inactive God

"Apart from the natural and spiritual laws He established to govern creation, God acts in the realm of human affairs exclusively by proxy. Except by the faith of someone expressed by prayer, pronouncement, action or some other means, God makes no alteration in circumstances no matter how unjust."


I suspect this is true. If I conclude it is, then it will have significant repercussions to my life and of those I minister too as I apply it. It will only take one counterexample from scripture to disprove it, though. Do you know of one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inactive? He died long ago.

Anonymous said...

I disagree... Here's why:

I believe that that position makes null the sovereignty of God. I believe that God can and will do whatever He wants whenever He wants to (in the confines of love and justice).

Job 37:3-12
He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth...He says to the snow, "Fall on the earth," and to the rain, "Be a mighty downpour..." At his direction, they swirl around over the face of the whole earth to do whatever he commands them.

Isaiah 43:11-13
I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed...No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?

Proverbs 16:4
The Lord works out everything for His own ends--even the wicked for a day of disaster.

Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

rh said...

Thanks for the email exchange ali. I was hoping to spark some discussion. You have not convinced me, however, you have given me a lot to think about.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.