Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Coward

coward

n 1: a person who shows fear or timidity

I notice that when I direct love inward I prioritize self preservation for its own sake. This results in avoiding risky behavior such as acts born of caring deeply for others, and I tend to seek comfort and consider those my enemies who disturb that comfort. In that frame of mind, fear becomes reasonable expectation and timidity caution. Preserving oneself is necessary to be available to serve others , but is futile as an end unto itself.

The following scripture got me started thinking about the consequences of being timid and fearful:
Re 21:8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

So, not only is the coward less useful to others, but he is also subject to severe judgement. Obviously, fearfulness is not a slight sin but a grave offense. When I read that eight years ago it shook me. I thought I needed more hugs and comforting words to push me out of self pity and discouragement. I needed a stern warning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny, I just wrote something similar to that in my journal yesterday morning. Maybe I'll post it.

AGM

Anonymous said...

If you want, you can check out my blog on encouragement. It' skinda simliar

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.