Friday, August 25, 2006

Give it away

I started to become unreasonable about 8yrs ago. At least I became significantly more unreasonable. Through a series of circumstances and with the influence of people I respected, I got the idea that I should give my life away. I began to talk with Father about what I could do to give it away. I wanted to do it to honor Him . So, I thought to ask what would He be most satisfied with. Some people think it's ridiculous to let your Father have so much control in your life, but what can I say? I'm a Daddy's boy.

Sometimes Dad is a little mysterious about answering these sort of questions. He's pretty good at getting your attention when He wants it. He's started fires, made people crazy, sent messages special delivery by really scary looking guys. I was hoping He would work hard to get my attention focused on the right things. He didn't . I had to keep bugging Him, reflecting on things He'd already told me, and examining my performance and enjoyment with the volunteer activities I was already involved in. Our conversation on this matter resulted in my being convinced that I could best give my life away by becoming a professional recruiter/marketer/promoter for a very famous man.

The position may seem prestigious, and it is, but it is also an unpaid position. After spending 5.5 years in college and becoming the only one in my family to graduate, my decision only brought confusion to my parents. They thought my intentions were honorable, noble, and charitable, but my choice they thought misguided. They've been lovingly supportive while making their opinions clear.

They don't understand what I do. It is pretty countercultural to work for free. It seems to them be poor judgement at best and irresponsible at worst. I think I'm being very responsible. I'm responding to my Father's voice and my Father's heart as best I can understand it. I'm still learning how to give my life away. I might be doing it the wrong way; there may be a better way. I'm not doing the wrong thing.

No regrets.


mark 10:28-31; mark 8:35; matthew 6:33

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me either Reg, me either. No regrets at all. :)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.