Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Spirit of power from the perspective of physics

I worked out this illustration a few weeks ago. I thought of preaching it, but was soundly discouraged by my co-worker, Alli, who thought it was too complicated. Tell me if this makes sense to you and if you think it is accurate:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
power = W/s = Fd/s = (ma)d/s

Force is not mass times velocity(mv) but mass times acceleration(ma). (mv) is moving an object at a constant velocity while (ma) means that the velocity or speed is ever increasing throughout the
distance. This is not just the ability to go long but the ability to get faster
and faster throughout the distance.

take gravity for example:
when a penny is dropped from a balcony on someone's head it makes an
impact. It hurts.
However, when a penny is dropped from the Empire State Building on
someone's head then it is lethal because the speed of that penny
increases each second that it is falling.

Now power is the ability to move something from here to there that much
faster. I can push a 100lb box 100yds, the length of a football field. I just
can't do it very quickly. But, I can load that into my car and can go
100yds that much faster because I have more power.

How does that relate to my identity in God
as a warrior? Through the Holy Spirit, you can take someone farther in
less time than would normally be possible on my own. What would
otherwise take years of counseling to help someone cope with, can take
months or even weeks by the power of the Holy Spirit.

3 comments:

JD said...

yeah i like the analogy, it's a keeper.

Anonymous said...

this is awesome - i can certainly understand why alli encouraged you not to speak on this - but i am awed at the illustration and direction in which you and God are walking - continue to walk with the Lord and trust what HE is doing in you (mom)

Kingdom Shifts said...

I like it--if you are going to use it while speaking, I highly advise you to have a visual illustration so that your audience can "see" it. Great stuff!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.