Sunday, December 24, 2006

A pair of defining beliefs

Pastor Brent made this statement at church today and it struck a nerve.

"Whether or not you agree with the following two statements will determine a lot about how you live as a believer.

God loves me and:

(1) there is nothing I can ever do to make him love me more.

(2) there is nothing I can ever do to make him love me less."

A couple of years ago I don't think that I believed that at all. I thought God loves one category of persons a certain amount and other categories at different amounts. By my obedience, devotion, and faith I can move into higher love categories. Failure to obey, doubt, unbelief, and lapses in devotion would result in my falling into lower love categories. Though everyone does get a guaranteed minimum love allotment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that so comforting and peace-giving to understand that we are at God's inifinte level of love at all times??

rh said...

I am not sure that I am that comfortable, yet. The trendline is in that direction. Pastor Brent seemed to get great security from believing this; so I imagine it would be nice to be so comforted.

rh said...

I'm reading this again on April 20th 2009, and I gota admit that I think that I believe this now. I can't say exactly what happened. I think it maybe just because it's been modeled well by Pastor Brent and the In Focus Fam.

-rh

rh said...

I'm reading this again on April 20th 2009, and I gota admit that I think that I believe this now. I can't say exactly what happened. I think it maybe just because it's been modeled well by Pastor Brent and the In Focus Fam.

-rh

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.