Wednesday, July 05, 2006

on loving God and others

"Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself" Luke 10:27

first i thought that love meant obedience. partly because i thought obedience is what christianity was about and parlty supported by the statement by Jesus saying if we loved him we would keep his commands.

then i thought that love meant sacrificial service for the sake of another. this meant obedience to God and deference to others.

now i think it means consistent devotion so I endeavor to

consistently devote myself to the Lord my God in all of my desires, and in all of my emotions, and with all of my efforts, and with all of my thinking, and be as consistently devoted to my neighbor as I am to myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you're thinking about this too hard. Love can't be defined. Just give your all and it'll be love

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.